“If this is what labor feels like, I want an epidural right away”

That’s what I said this morning…as Jon was driving me to the Carleton Place ER 🙂  It’s been a rough two days for my body.

I woke up yesterday morning and could’ve swore I was going into labor (for someone who doesn’t know what labor feels like, lol).  I just lay on the couch, shivering cause I was freezing, and finally the painful “contractions” subsided (which proved they weren’t real labor pains, just practice ones I guess).  Immediately afterwards I developed a fever which kept going up till it peaked at 38.7 and then went right back down to normal…all within a couple hours..weird.  Oh, and I also felt like my entire uterus was going to fall out when I stood.  Around supper time I felt pretty much completely ok.  Jon thought maybe I had the flu so he decided to sleep on the couch so I wouldn’t “breathe” germs on him that night, lol.

Now here comes this morning.  I tossed and turned all night with a slight abdominal discomfort…normal…since I’m over 37 weeks pregnant.  Then around 6:00 my abdominal pain dissipated and all of a sudden I got sharp pains in my right side.  I tried sleeping on my right side which felt horrible.  I tried sleeping on my left side which felt not so horrible but still pretty horrible.  I lay there for about an hour as the pain kept getting worse.  Finaly I couldn’t take it anymore…I sat up which made it worse, I used the bathroom which didn’t help, I walked up the stairs slowly  and by the time I sat on the couch and woke Jon up I was in EXCRUCIATING pain.  He helped me get dressed and drove me to the ER in Carleton Place.  He then took my place at the church to lead worship.

I knew this wasn’t a “baby pain” so I was pretty much 100% certain my baby was ok…it was moving which wasn’t helping my pain AT all.  My worry was either my shrunken kidney was having problems or that I had appendicitis…neither of which I wanted to continue to have problems with in labor.  I sat in the waiting room, I winced in pain, I got light headed, and I saw stars.  Finally I was brought in and the doctor ordered blood work and such.  The blood lady came and asked if I was ok with needles, which I am totally fine with but by this time I’m pretty lightheaded so she had me lie down.  So for 20 minutes, while I waited for my next instructions I lay on the one side that wasn’t as bad and moaned and moaned.

They then told me that I needed to call the midwives and go to the Queensway in Ottawa since that is where I’m delivering just to take some extra tests to make sure the baby is ok (which I knew it was, sigh…I was worried about ME).  At this point Jon’s in practice so we have mom and Elizabeth bring me in (the Tylenol has kicked in now that they gave me in the CP hospital so I’m a little more able to move).  I arrive…they hook me up to a fetal monitor.  Baby is GREAT, moving around like crazy…heartbeat is awesome…Braxton Hick contractions are quite frequent…again not helping the pain.

Leslie (midwife) and her student (Leah who I met this previous week…I like her) arrive and asked about what I had experienced the past couple days.  They checked to see if I was dilated at all, to which I wasn’t.  They pressed on my belly where the pain was (and it hurt).  They met with an OB to consult.  I guess everyone’s concern was that my pain was accompanied by a fever the day before, since that’s a sign of appendicitis.  Sooo, at this point they’re still waiting for my blood work from CP…which never does arrive before I leave.  OB takes over and midwives leave and at 2:00 I go in for an ultrasound (Jon’s here by now…he left right after worship).  My ultrasound shows that I have a FANTASTIC baby (well, I could’ve saved them all that trouble…I knew it wasn’t the baby!)  I didn’t get to really see the baby…she had the screen facing her…Jon got to see the baby at the end…we got a picture but it just looks like a white mess…I can’t even see a baby, lol.  She took pictures of most of my organs…the ones the baby would let her take.

She couldn’t get a picture of my appendix because of the baby.  So, in the end the OB has me coming in tomorrow to get blood work done there and have my right side examined again by the OB in at that time.  She said it takes a couple days for appendicitis to become apparent so they want to double check.  If I have any more pain or fever I’m suppose to come in immediately.  She also said I could just be passing a small stone, which they can’t see cause I’m pregnant.  Or she said it could be some other thing that I can’t remember that isn’t really a big deal.  Anyways, by the time they’re done with me I’m no longer in the same pain as earlier this morning…and they aren’t too concerned right now.  I’m taking Tylenol to get rid of the nagging discomfort/vague pain.  it still hurts when I press on it.

On a different note:  The ultrasound tech asked if I wanted to know the sex (they wouldn’t let Jon in until the end to see the baby) to which I said “No, we’re keeping it a surprise.”  Then she proceeded to say “It’s always when it’s obvious that the parents don’t want to know the sex.”  Does that mean I’m having a boy since that’s the sex that is obvious?  That’s what I took it as…Jon says it didn’t mean anything 😉


2 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by Pamela on November 12, 2009 at 2:25 am

    I don’t think that it’s a boy because she said because at 37 weeks, I think it’s pretty obvious either way 🙂


  2. Posted by dianaslbillings on November 12, 2009 at 1:15 pm

    That’s what Jon said, haha

    Guess I’m just anxious to find out 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: